Wednesday, April 25, 2007

My final comment on iPods and security (for now)

Cara took a bit of flack on various blogs and on Network World's own forums for her series of articles about iPods and security. Wherever you stand on the issue, or even if you couldn't care less, I find it interesting to see how naive many of those posters are. I wonder what people think the job of a journalist is.

Where do people think that a journalist gets story ideas from? Could it sometimes be from insider information gleaned from press releases or perhaps gossip or tips from sources they have a relationship with?

Where do people think that follow-up story ideas come from? Is it possible that if readers show an interest in a topic that a journalist might be compelled to write a follow-up to capitalize on that interest?

How is opening up a topic for discussion "causing controversy" or "creating an issue"? If you disagree, then disagree - at least Network World has a forum and allows you to post your disagreement.

While I think it is an interesting discussion point, I've already said all I have to say on this for now. If you disagree with me, that's perfectly okay. Feel free to post a comment!

No comments: